I have to admit that D’Arcy is the one who does the majority of the baking around here. Almost all of our breads & muffins, he has made himself before leaving to teach high- school in the morning. (Yes I know how lucky I am!)
This morning’s guests raved about his rhubarb muffins and asked for the recipe, so here it is:
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg (he actually used egg replacer)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla (The original recipe calls for almond flavouring, but because we are a peanut & nut free home, he used vanilla)
1 1/2 cup diced rhubarb
- Mix dry ingredients
- Beat egg, add milk, oil & flavouring
- Pour egg mixture over dry ingredients and stir to moisten.
- Fold in rhubarb. Sprinkle tops with sugar before baking.
- Bake at 375*F for 20 minutes.
- Yield: 8 large muffins
* Variation: Instead of sprinkling sugar on muffins before baking, dip tops of warm muffins in sugar after baking.
** This is a versatile muffin – any other fruit in season are just as delicious! We’ve made them with strawberries, raspberries, peaches, blueberries, etc.
Just a reminder that today (June 3rd) is the last day to vote for us as “Best B&B” in the Truro & District Chamber of Commerce’s “Best of Colchester County” contest. To vote for us, The Belgravia Bed & Breakfast, please click here!